Skincare Routine

I've never made the traditional "Skincare Routine" post because well, I don't really have very good skin, in my opinion. But after it was requested for me to post about it, I figured that if someone can benefit from the products that work for me, then it would be worthwhile.


My skin is combination/oily with the occasional dry patches, acne-prone, and non-sensitive. Please keep in mind that products that work for me may or may not work for you :)


Facial Cleansing
Shu Uemura High Performance Balancing Cleansing Oil Fresh
St.Ives Apricot Scrub Blemish & Blackhead Control

My facial cleansing routine is beyond simple as I really only use 2 products.



Every night after I've removed my makeup with whatever makeup wipe I'm using at the moment, I'll finish up by washing my face with the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil. I NEVER go to bed with any makeup on! And I won't bore you with details on how to use it since it comes with instructions, but I will say that I've never used a cleanser that has cleaned my skin so well before (and I've tried a lot of different cleansers!). Shu Uemura's line of Cleansing Oils consists of several different formulations for different skin-types, and I use the one for normal to oily skin-types.

The Cleansing Oil is a makeup remover and cleanser in one and while it does an excellent job at both, I still prefer to remove my makeup beforehand to ensure that the cleanser reaches down to my pores. If I've run out of makeup wipes I will simply wash my face twice with the Cleansing Oil, once to remove my makeup, and a second time to clean my skin. I also use this in the mornings on days when I'm not exfoliating with a scrub.

A lot of cleansers geared towards oily or acne-prone skin can be very drying and make your freshly cleansed skin feel like it's just had the moisture completely sucked out of it. Not with the Cleansing Oil. The oil breaks down oils on your face like no other, rinses away clean while still somehow managing to leave your skin feeling comfortable and moisturized and not the least bit tight or dry. Genius!


In addition the the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil, I exfoliate my face with the St.Ives Apricot Scub Blemish & Blackhead Control every other morning. I am a huge fan of LUSH's Ocean Salt exfoliating scrub but after finishing up my little pot a few weeks ago, I decided to find a cheaper alternative and go back to my old favorite from St.Ives. There are 4 different formulations for different skin-types but again, I use this one as it's geared towards acne-prone skin. I like for my exfoliators to be a bit more on the abrasive side as opposed to a gentle scrub because I find that my skin reacts better to stronger exfoliators. This one is exactly the kind of exfoliator my skin needs, and I'm so happy I've rediscovered it. You can also read about 3 great exfoliators at 3 different price points here.

Daytime Facial Care
Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer
Sonia Kashuk Tinted Moisturizer

I use the Aveeno Clear Complexion Daily Moisturizer on most days, and I apply it about 5-10 minutes before I apply my foundation to allow it time to sink into my skin.

If I am not planning on wearing foundation then I will skip my usual moisturizer and just apply the Sonia Kashuk Tinted Moisturizer to moisturize my skin and add a bit of coverage. I really like that this one has SPF 15 because that makes it perfect for going outside during the daytime.

Nighttime Facial Care
Bio-Oil
Olay Regenerist Night Recovery Cream


When my skin is feeling especially dry, usually during the winter, I will smooth Bio-Oil all over my face before I go to bed. I'm not sure exactly how it works but when I wake up my skin feels moisturized and soft but does not look or feel oily at all! (If I go to bed with nothing on my face, I will wake up with and oily T-zone.) I originally bought this to see if it could fade the acne scars I have on my face but I have trouble using it often enough (twice daily) to see any visible differences.


When my skin is behaving normally and not exceptionally dry, I will apply a dollop of this Olay Regenerist Night Recovery anti-aging cream around my eyes and on my forehead. I'm only 23 and don't have any wrinkles yet, but I'd also like to keep it that way. I tend to raise my eyebrows a lot which causes my huge forehead to bunch up, so I apply anti-aging cream onto it at night in order to prevent any wrinkles in the making :)

And my last nighttime face product that is not photographed, simply because I forgot, is Clean & Clear Advantage Acne Spot Treatment. I only use this when I have blemishes, obviously, and it's one of the better spot treatments I've come across. I do find that it helps to reduce the size and development of my blemishes in about 1-3 days and typically does not make the area around my blemishes dry and flakey like other spot treatments do.

Body Care
Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub in Coconut Lime

I use regular body wash or soap on most days (right now it's LUSH Honey I Washed the Kids), but I will exfoliate with the Tree Hut Shea Sugar Body Scrub about twice a week. I've talked about this one before in this post, and I still love it. It smells great, is affordable, and gets the job done. My skin feels ridiculously smooth and soft post-exfoliation.

Johnson's 24 Hour Body Lotion
Burt's Bees Milk & Honey Body Lotion

These are two of my favorite body lotions because they both absorb really quickly into the skin and keep my skin feeling moisturized all day. Lately I've been favoring the Burt's Bees one simply due to the fact that I am in love with the smell :)

I hope this was helpful! Let me know if you have any questions :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment