Going Against the Grain: Stila Stay All Day Volumizing Mascara

I have annoyingly sparse, pin straight lashes that resist all efforts made towards achieving a lasting curl. The only redeeming factor my lashes have is that at least, they're not too short.....not long by any stretch of the imagination, but not short either. Phew!

I've talked about the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Volumizing Mascara a few times before on my blog, each time mentioning how sad it makes me that it has such poor reviews on Sephora because it's currently my HG mascara! If anything, I've learned not to get offended by differences in opinions on this mascara because I've realized that mascara is a very personalized beauty item. It depends on your needs, preferences, and most importantly, the state of your natural lashes. 



Let me explain. One of the main complaints on Sephora about this mascara is that it's clumpy. On my sparse lashes, the slight clumpiness actually adds much needed volume and definition to my lashes, which is one of the reasons why I love it so much. However, if you have quite full lashes, as I would assume many of those who had the clumpiness complaint probably do, the clumpiness could potentially push your lashes into the much dreaded spider lash territory. 

This is what I mean by mascara being a very personalized product. It's like foundation. A moisturizing foundation that looks beautifully hydrating on dry skin may look greasy on oily skin, you know what I mean? What works for one will not work for all. I mentioned a little while ago that MUFE Smoky Lash Mascara, a mascara with a cult following, did absolutely nothing for my lashes and I found it highly overrated...that was until my friend Alison told me that it's a mascara that tends to work better on naturally fuller lashes, which explains why it didn't do much for my dinky little lashes.

Yes, there is mascara smudged all up on my upper lashline -_-



Other common complaints about this mascara are that it is difficult to remove and that it's messy. It is a waterproof formula, so I would hope it's not too easy to remove, right? I personally don't have any issues removing it because I use an oil cleanser that removes every type of makeup known to man, but if I try to remove it using makeup wipes or non-oil based cleansers/makeup removers, I'll admit it doesn't budge at all. It's all about knowing how to properly remove it, that's all. Ironically, despite being a waterproof formula, I sometimes get a tiny bit of smudging under my left eye (and only my left eye for some reason) even if I only have mascara on my top lashes. Odd.

As far as the messy factor, I can kind of understand where they're coming from. Many times, I'll notice some gloopiness (you like that?) on the end of the mascara wand when I first take it out and that the wand doesn't come out as cleanly straight from the tube, but that issue is quickly and easily fixed by simply taking the wand and depositing the excess product back into the tube. No big deal.

By far my favorite thing about this mascara is how well it holds a curl in my lashes. It is like no other mascara I have ever tried before! Even Covergirl Lash Blast and Prestige My Blackest Lashes, two mascaras that I also love and used to use religiously, can't hold a curl nearly as well as this Stila mascara does.

I know the photos of my eyelashes will likely look quite meh to most of you, but for me, my dinky little lashes have never looked so good, so humor me, eh? My lashes are shown above with 2 coats on the top lashes, 1 coat on the bottom lashes, and I love how this mascara manages to volumize, separate, and curl my lashes. Though I've come to realize why it may not be for everyone, it certainly works wonders for me, and that's why I love it so much!

Did I mention it is the only high-end mascara I have ever liked enough to purchase? And I'm already on tube #2, so that's really saying something ;)

This mascara retails for $22.

What is your HG mascara?


0 comments:

Post a Comment