Skin Food = Dior dupe?

I was a Skin Food virgin up until last night. I went out to dinner with a friend and noticed that a Skin Food store had opened up  recently nearby. I mentioned to my friend that I wanted to take a peek inside after dinner, but I really didn't know what to expect. When I went inside, I felt like a kid in a candy store.

It reminded me a lot of LUSH because they had a ton of skincare, haircare, and bath and shower products inside, and what caught my eye the most was the super cute packaging and the abundance of different lines geared towards different skincare needs! It separates itself from LUSH in that it also has makeup and nail polish. Obviously, I gravitated towards the makeup :)


They had a few different lipstick formulas, but the one that caught my eye was the Vita Tok line, which retails for $16 each and promises watercolor-type of pigmentation that is shiny, bright, and bursting with vitality. Yes, please!

There were a few different shades I would've gone for but in the end, I chose the shade PK03, a lipstick that I believe is going through a bit of an identity crisis at the moment, and I'll tell you why:

Shade PK03 is called Sakura Peach (although it doesn't actually say Sakura Peach anywhere on the lipstick). In the bullet, it appears to be a medium, bright coral with very, very subtle silver shimmer; in other words, not peachy at all. When swatched, it doesn't appear peachy like the name or corally like in the bullet. Instead, it appears as a light to medium, warm-toned pink with just a touch of coral. And while the tiny, subtle silver shimmers are still slightly detectable on a hand swatch, it's really not detectable at all on the lips.

Skin Food Vita Tok Lipstick in PK03 (left) and Dior Addict Lipstick in 465 Singuliere

Once I got home, I swatched my new lipstick next to my new favorite sheer, balmy lipstick: Dior Singuliere. What I found was very exciting (to me, anyway!) :D While they look completely different in the bullet, when swatched, it's a whole different story:

Skin Food PK03 (top/left) and Dior Singuliere

Compared to Singuliere, Skin Food PK03 is a bit warmer and has just a touch of coral. Singuliere is a bright, cool-toned, bubblegum pink. Both lipsticks are the sheer (but neither are super sheer), balmy types, although PK03 is creamier while Singuliere has more of a lip balm texture. I also wanted to mention that while Singuliere is scent-less, PK03 smells like fruit snacks :)

Both have about the same amount of shine, although I'm tempted to say that Singuliere may have a bit more shine once on the lips.

While the two lipsticks are not exactly the same, the shades are shockingly similar and once applied to my lips (it may be different on other people depending on their lips' natural color), I find that the two end up looking almost the same. Singuliere ends up looking just a smidgen brighter and pinker. You can see me wearing Singuliere here.

I'm wearing PK03 Sakura Peach today!


Face:
Origins VitaZing
Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette
Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Sand
Benefit Hoola
Benefit Sugarbomb

Eyes:
UDPP
MAC Paint Pot in Rubenesque
MAC Pigment in Melon
MAC e/s in Era (crease)
Urban Decay 24/7 liner in Whiskey
L'Oreal Voluminous mascara
Covergirl Lash Blast Volume mascara

Lips:
Skin Food l/s in PK03

My lovely friend Danielle sent me a sample of MAC Melon pigment a few weeks ago, and I finally got around to wearing it today after my other friend J. tweeted and reminded me that it looks amazing over Rubenesque Paint Pot! I forgot to swatch them side-by-side, but they're basically the same color, a super shimmery, pinky-peachy gold, but with different formulas, obviously! I love Rubenesque but I can't help but be a little disappointed every time I wear it - it seems to just blend away on my lid and the color doesn't appear nearly as vibrant or shimmery as it does when I swatch it on my hand :( Luckily, with Melon on top, the color is completely amplified and as a result, absolutely gorgeous

Have you tried anything from Skin Food?


0 comments:

Post a Comment