Maybelline Dream Matte Powder vs. MAC Mineralize Skinfinish Natural.


As any sufferer of excessively oily skin would know, face powder is a MUST. I had been using MAC Mineralize Skin Finish Natural in Medium Plus for the past year or so and while I liked it, it's not the absolute best powder for controlling oil. It'd probably be fine for someone with normal, combination, or even slightly oily skin, but for people with extremely oily skin like me, we sometimes need something more heavy-duty, if you will. 

At some point while I was still on P10P a little while ago, I started hearing J. from Lil Lady's Life raving about Maybelline Dream Matte Powder and naturally, as someone who is very easily persuaded, my little ears perked up and I was immediately intrigued. The second I threw up my white flag to P10P, I ran (let's be honest, I drove) to the nearest store and picked the Maybelline powder.



My Maybelline Dream Matte Powder is in the shade Sand (or Medium 0-1) and my MAC MSFN is in the shade Medium Plus. Sand is noticeabley lighter than Medium Plus in the pan, but since it has lighter coverage then MSFN, it's really not noticeable at all once it's applied to the skin.

In addition to offering less coverage, Dream Matte Powder is also not as smooth as MSFN. When I set my face (either foundation or just moisturizer) with MSFN, the powder just seems to melt into my skin, creating a healthy and natural finish that subtly suggests you may just have been blessed with perfect skin. With Dream Matte Powder, I obviously get a completely matte finish (which is to be expected), and while it still looks nice, it doesn't seem to "melt" into my foundation or moisturizer in quite the same way.

What I love about Dream Matte Powder, however, is its ability to control oil much better than MSFN can for me. While I still blot every few hours (I told you I have extremely oily skin, remember?), it's a little bit less than I'd normally have to blot with MSFN and since I'm blotting less, I'm also removing less makeup each time and therefore, my makeup also stays on longer throughout the day. For me, since oil-control is my main concern in the warmer months, I've been greatly favoring Dream Matte Powder over MSFN lately, despite it not looking quite as flawless and amazing on the skin (not to say it doesn't look good in its own right, though), because of its stronger oil-controlling properties.

I normally powder my face twice a day, once in the morning and once around mid-afternoon, and I've never noticed any cakey-ness whatsoever with Dream Matte Powder, but note that I also always remove excess oil from my skin before powdering...in other words, I don't powder on the oily areas in an attempt to remove the oil. That would likely create cakey-ness regardless of what powder you're using.

Notice the difference in packaging too...

MSFN is mirror-less and just opens up like a normal compact but doesn't have any sort of compartment under the powder to house a sponge or powder poof thingy (you know what I mean!). Dream Matte Powder has a lid that lifts open to expose the powder but then the platform that the powder is on can actually be swivelled to the side to expose an area that houses a cheap powder poof (I threw mine away - it's crap) and a mirror (forgot to photograph this, but the mirror is right under the poof). While I don't care for the poof at all since I apply my powder on-the-go with a retractable kabuki brush from EcoTools anyway (it's fantastic, by the way!), I really appreciate that it has a mirror.

I still really like my MSFN, although I'm not sure it really lives up to all of the hype since I don't think it's that amazing, but I think that I've definitely permanently converted to using Dream Matte Powder in the warmer months (probably Spring and definitely Summer!) since that's when my excessively oily skin tends to become excessively, excessively oily.

What's your go-to face powder?


0 comments:

Post a Comment