Three & Red Lips from Day to Night.


I recently purchased lipgloss #3 of 5 for Gloss-Out 2011. Introducing Chanel  Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss in 61 Fatale...

The packaging is very luxe but also very prone to fingerprints, in case that matters to you (it doesn't to me!).

The Rouge Allure Extrait de Gloss has a unique, flexible, slanted doe-foot applicator. Love it.

Sheer swatch (left) and heavy swatch.

Fatale is a crimson red with excellent pigmentation (in terms of lipgloss). As with all Chanel lip products, it has the classic rose scent that you either love or hate. I actually find it a bit too scented for my own personal liking.

I purchased this particular shade because I thought that a red gloss would be much more wearable and less intimidating than red lipstick. I love the look of red lips but I hardly ever reach for red lipstick because it's just so damn high-maintenance, not to mention I tend to feel not very "myself" and kind of overly made-up when I wear it. Red lipgloss, on the other hand (especially one that can be easily built up like Fatale), can be surprisingly versatile.

For daytime red lips, I'd apply a thin layer to my bottom lip only and smoosh (technical term there) my top and bottom lip together, and that seems to create the perfect, subtle, glossy red stain.

For more nighttime red lips that are not as dramatic as red lips created with red lipstick, I'd apply a normal layer of lipgloss to my top and bottom lips, the same way I would with any normal lipgloss. This is the look I get:
It's still red, but much more comfortable for me because it's a gloss and because it's not an uber bright shade of red.

And I'll show you a close-up of my eye makeup, in case you're interested.
Hello mascara smudged on my eyelid! 

It's so funny because about every other blogger I interrogate for a Blogger Interrogation post says that their makeup pet peeve is mascara smeared on the eyelid. I think it's because my lashes are fairly short and my mascara wand (Cover Girl Lash Blast) is huge, but it happens to me pretty much every day! Oopsies ;)

The main color I used on my eyes was a MAC eyeshadow in Hocus Pocus, a shimmery brown-gunmetal shade from the recent Bloggers' Obsession collection. I figured it'd be a nice crease/outer-v shade and I was right! I also think it'd be nice for people who like to use dark eyeshadow on an angled eyeliner brush as more subtle eyeliner rather than using a traditional eyeliner (pencil, gel, etc.). This particular shade would make a great, less harsh alternative to black.

Face:
Origins VitaZing
Sonia Kashuk Hidden Agenda Concealer Palette
Maybelline Dream Matte Powder in Sand
Benefit Hoola
Benefit Sugarbomb

Eyes:
UDPP
MAC e/s in Era (lid)
MAC e/s in Hocus Pocus (crease and lower lash line)
MAC e/s in Wedge (blend out Hocus Pocus)
MAC e/s in Dazzlelight (highlight)
UD 24/7 pencil in Zero
Cover Girl Lash Blast mascara

Lips:
Chanel l/g in Fatale

What would you use for a day-to-night red lip?


0 comments:

Post a Comment