Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer - Dark Circles Be Gone?


Anyone who knows me in real life or who is not new to my blog knows that dealing with my dark under-eye circles is a constant struggle for me. While I really do love my Diorskin Sculpt Lifting Smoothing Concealer, like a true makeup junkie, I'll always be on the hunt for something better.

I've learned through watching YouTube videos that pink-based concealers work best for covering up dark under-eye circles as the pink works to neutralize purple or blue toned discoloration. Although my Dior concealer has great consistency and provides fantastic coverage, it's beige (i.e. not pink-based) and so I set off to find myself a new under-eye concealer.

I use MAC Studio Finish Concealer on my blemishes and redness, but I find the consistency is terrible for use around my eye area and makes it look dry and cakey. I had heard mostly rave reviews on the Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer so when I saw that it was 40% off around Black Friday, I jumped on the chance to try it.


It's called the "Salmon Concealer" because they're all pink/peach based to help neutralize the dark blue in under-eye circles. It's also half concealer and half treatment, with the anti-oxidant AstraReal/Astaxanthin that is supposed to improve and protect your delicate eye area. I'm only 23 and besides the dark circles, I don't really have any wrinkles or issues with my eye area so I can't say with confidence that I've seen any improvements or difference at all. This post will be reviewing how this product works as a concealer only.

The concealer is available in four shades: light, medium, tan, and dark. They can be purchased in singles, duos, or trios. The singles are available in a 3.25g size for $35 or in a 6.2g size for $42. I purchased the larger size (the obvious better deal) in the shade Medium.

What I noticed right off the bat after using it was that Medium is a bit darker than I expected and I wonder if Light would've been a better match. Especially if you are into the "light under-eye look" a la Kim Kardashian, I'd recommend choosing a shade lighter than what you think you'd need. I'm around NC30 and when there are only four shades available, I really didn't think I'd have to choose the lightest shade. I fear really pale girls may not be able to find a match in Eve Pearl's restricted color range.

Before (completely bare skin)

After (concealer only; no foundation)
Note: It looks kind of cakey in the photo but it doesn't really look that way in real life, especially not when used over foundation :)

I apply this concealer by dabbing my MAC 224 into the pot and since the consistency is very creamy, the brush picks up the product very easily and there is no need to swirl it around in the pot. I then sweep my brush back and forth under my eye area and all around until the product is completely blended into my skin. In addition, although I don't really think it's worth mentioning, the concealer comes with a spatula to scoop out the product. Maybe this would come in handy if you have really long nails and like to use your fingers to apply concealer but I, for one, will not be making use of the concealer spatula.

At this point, instead of writing more massive paragraphs, I think it would be easier to list out the pros and cons...

+Pros+
-very creamy and easy to blend
-is moisturizing and feels smooth and comfortable around eye area
-covers dark circles very well

+Cons+
-shade range is limited and color is a bit darker than expected
-creases!

The major con here is the creasing, unfortunately. I mentioned in my Diorskin concealer review that I have a natural crease under my eyes where any and all concealers tend to settle into, and this one is no different. However, in addition to that crease, the concealer itself starts to crease in no time at all, even when I've used powder (MAC MSFN) to set it. And although I have oily skin, in the Winter I'd say it's more normal/combination and I don't think that my eye area is particularly oily at all, especially not enough to cause such extensive creasing.

So, while I like the Eve Pearl Salmon Concealer, I have to be honest and say that considering the price and the hype, I'm a little bit let down. I have no doubt that I'll use it all up, but I don't think I'd repurchase it. I'm thinking the Bobbi Brown Corrector and/or Creamy Concealer may be next...




0 comments:

Post a Comment