Unsung Heroes.

Here are a few fantastic products that I think deserve more hype and recognition than they've received...


+e.l.f Shimmer Palette+
This palette retails for a mere $3 and contains four cream highlighters in pearl, peach, pale gold, and pink. On medium skintones and darker, when applied, the difference in colors is not really detectable and you are left with a very similar looking highlight regardless of which color you use. On fairer skintones, the difference between the four shades will be a bit more apparent.
The consistency is very creamy, a tad bit greasy (just a tad!), and very easy to blend. When used as a highlight on top of the cheekbones or under the brow bone, this shimmer palette gives the most healthy, dewy glow to the skin that never feels oily once blended in.

+Illamasqua Illuminator in Fondle+
Illamasqua is most definitely not an underrated brand but for some reason, I never seem to hear very much about their illuminators. Fondle is a peachy pink with gold shimmer that is super pigmented and a bit darker than NARS Orgasm. It's a liquid highlighter that dries down after applied to the skin, so the staying power is actually really great. The particular shade I have works better as a blush than a highlighter, but I can imagine Odyssey (white pearl) and Halcyon (ivory pearl) would make excellent cheek bone highlighters.

+MAC eyeshadow in Era+
In a land full of Satin Taupe, Cork, and Patina-lovers, I rarely ever hear about Era. Era has a Satin finish and is a light-medium brown with very subtle gold shimmers throughout. When applied, the shimmer is not very visible and rather than making the eyeshadow look shimmery, it adds dimension and life to what could otherwise be a flat and boring eyeshadow shade. Era is particularly close to my heart because it was the second MAC product I ever owned (my first was MAC lipglass in Prrr), and so far, it's the only MAC product I've ever repurchased.
It makes a pretty all-over lid shade for lazy days when you can't be bothered with crease and outer-v gibberish, it makes a great crease shade when used over something simple like MAC Brule on the lid, and it is also an excellent shade to use to blend out a smoky eye. 

+Bonne Bell Lip Lites in Strawberry Parfait+
This is an excellent, affordable lipgloss that smells exactly like you would expect. It's very pigmented and non-sticky. I used to associate Bonne Bell with kid/teenager makeup since they are also the makers of my beloved Lip Smackers that I collected when I was 10, but I've since changed my mind because I'm seriously impressed with this gloss. This is the only shade I've tried from this range but as far as drugstore lipglosses go, I'd say this one is right up there with Revlon Super Lustrous lipglosses.

L to R:
MAC Era
e.l.f Shimmer Palette (4 shades)
Illamasqua Fondle (top: heavily swatched; bottom: blended in)
Bonne Bell Strawberry Parfait

What are some of your favorite underrated products?


0 comments:

Post a Comment