Review: Greasepaint Sticks


The greasepaint sticks in Greengrease, Zinc Zone, and Dirty (Pearlglide Intense eyeliner on the right)

Today I am reviewing MAC's Greasepaint Sticks from the Art Supplies Collection.  I have three of the eight shades that were released including Greengrease, Zinc Zone, and Dirty.  They retail for $17.50 USD for 0.03 oz.

After reading so many mixed reviews on GPS from the Style Black and D Squared collections, I am actually pretty surprised by how much I like these.  I've definitely jumped on the GPS train!  My favorite of the three is Dirty, but I really do like them all! I already know that I'll be able to get a lot of use out of them.

How do I use it?
I like to use it in one of two ways:
   1.  As an eyeshadow base
   2.  As eyeliner, then smudged for a smokey look
For the purpose of this review I've also tried wearing it by itself (meaning no primer, base, or eyeshadow), which is something I would never do with creamy eye makeup since I have oily skin and it almost never lasts. The GPS was no exception to this rule.  The GPS has wonderful staying power (all day for me) when eyeshadow is applied over it to set the cream.  However, when used by itself, the GPS creases and fades on me within a couple of hours.  Perhaps someone with dry to normal skin would have more luck.  

I also find that the GPS is easy to smudge, which can be good or bad depending on what you want to use it for.  I don't like it as an eyeliner by itself because it smudges when I don't want it to and because the tip is much too thick.  However, if eyeliner is your primary purpose for the GPS, then you should use an angled eyeliner brush to apply it to get a more precise application.

Would I purchase it again?
YES!  I've been experiencing a bad case of laziness lately and the GPS has allowed me to come up with a  really fast, easy, and pretty eye makeup routine. I just apply the GPS like eyeliner to top and bottom lashes, smudge across my lid, and use my finger (yes, I am THAT lazy sometimes!) to set it with a sparkly champagne e/s. This is very similar to my simple smokey eye FOTD here.

Would I recommend it?
Honestly, while I love them, rather than just blindly recommending them to everyone, I suggest you go to MAC and test them out for yourself.  There seem to be enough makeup lovers out there that clearly were not as impressed as I was, and I think a lot of it has to do with your skin type and what you use the GPS for.  And while it's not dirt cheap, I personally don't think that $17.50 is a ridiculous amount of money to spend either if you end up not loving it.

Overall
-Multipurpose eye product
-Long-wearing (as long as you set it with e/s)
-Beautiful range of colors
-Try them out for yourself...your mileage may vary

Personally, I'm very impressed with the Greasepaint Sticks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment