Dare to Bare.


I saw this challenge on Nicoletta's blog a few days ago and despite having seen similar challenges before, like The Beauty Bite Detox back at the start of the year, I finally feel like I'm ready to post a photo of my bare face for all on the internet to see.


Don't get me wrong - I don't wear makeup everyday, even if I am going out in public (gasp!). In all honesty, even when my acne was at it's worst, I'd still go to class without any makeup on because I didn't really care what people I didn't know thought of the way I looked. I'm very quite secure with the person that I am and let's be honest, I do own a mirror and am very aware of what I look like without makeup on, so there's really nothing anyone can say or think that would be news to me.

What really perplexed me for the longest time was why I was fine with going to class and meeting strangers without a trace of makeup on, yet the thought of baring all (of my face, that is...get your mind out of the gutter!) on my little blog for my readers to see made me so uncomfortable? It all comes down to the good and the bad that comes with beauty blogging, my friends.

Aside from the obvious, which is the fear of receiving the dreaded Anonymous comments saying things that I guarantee, those sad individuals wouldn't ever dare say to your face without the protection of the anonymity of the internet, I think that while beauty blogging and making friends and receiving super sweet comments can definitely boost your confidence, subconciously, you may also start to feel a bit insecure as you read other beauty blogs and think, "She's so much prettier than I am" or "I used all of the makeup she used but I still don't look like that," or another blogger has posted a photo of their bare face and you can't even tell the difference because they're still gorgeous.

Am I the most beautiful person ever? Absolutely not, but I am fine with that and I am happy and proud of the way I look - with and without makeup. Makeup is a hobby of mine so of course, I like the way I look with makeup on because I like learning about new makeup products and application techniques, etc. But, more so than being proud of how well I was able to put makeup on my face, I'm most happy with my actual face. Because it's me. I don't think I look perfect by any means, but this is how I look. This is me. And I love it.

I can put makeup on and take it off but my face will always be my face. If you aren't completely comfortable with the way you look naturally, no amount of makeup will be able to truly make you feel happy or confident in your own skin. Makeup is always the most beautiful when it's used to enhance, rather than cover-up, hide, or change a person.

With that said, I don't wear makeup because I feel lost, naked, insufficient, or ugly without it. I wear it because it makes me feel more confident, more beautiful, and it's one of the main ways I express myself. 

I've always loved makeup but I wasn't able to truly appreciate it and take advantage of it until I was first comfortable in my own skin.

I encourage all of you to join Nicoletta's Dare to Bare Challenge as well and I'd like to know, Why do you wear makeup?


0 comments:

Post a Comment