A Change of Heart.

I admit it: I'm a creature of habit. I find something or a way of doing something that suits me and I stick to it. Sure, every now and again I'll get bored and want to try something new but it's usually the uncertainty or fear of the possible consequences that stop me before any changes actually come to fruition. Lately, I've been a little more "adventurous." (The quotes are intentional because let's be honest, none of the following points are really all that adventurous -__-)

I was nearly heartbroken when it was brought to my attention that my beloved Seche Vite top coat has a warning label on it that states: "This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm." Ugh. Are you serious? Seche Vite is the best top coat I've ever used but is it worth having defective babies in the future? No. (I kid.) So, as hard as it was to let go, I finally did and decided to switch over to Sally Hansen Mega Shine Top Coat. I used it for the first time last night and upon application, it seemed very Seche Vite-esque - meaning kind of thick and gel-like, drying down to a very glossy finish. We'll have to wait a few days to see if the wear time is comparable.

I was a fan of the longer, square-shaped nails for a long time but I'm now preferring short, rounded nails instead. I have long and skinny fingers and the longer, square-shaped nails kind of made me feel like I had claws. I feel much more human now :) The nail polish I'm wearing is Essie Chinchilly.

I have the travel-sized F25 Tapered Face brush and I was initially in love with it. I used it to apply my face powder and found it gave me more precise application and the tapered end fit more comfortably around my eye and nose area than the traditional big, fluffy face brush. Lately, however, it's been letting me down as it's decided to start shedding, leaving no less than 10 hairs on my face after each use! Annoying, much?! It's been washed several times now so I'm not sure what it's problem is, but fingers crossed it'll calm down a bit after I give it it's next bath.

It's no secret I have oily skin and I used to avoid cream products like the plague. Lately, however, I've been obsessed with the idea of natural and dewy looking makeup, a look that is not always easily attainable with powder products. I've noticed that with the right products and the right application techniques, cream products can look equally as amazing and luminous (not greasy) on oily skin. I apply all of my cream products (featured above are Chanel Soleil Tan de Chanel bronzing base, MAC Ladyblush Blushcreme, and e.l.f. Shimmer Palette) directly onto my foundation and set everything with my face powder to make it last all day. 

I was watching one of GossMakeupArtist's videos where he said that he doesn't believe everyone needs to use moisturizer and that some people with normal to oily skin (me!) may not really benefit at all from adding moisturizer to their naturally moisturized faces. I usually try to find oil-free moisturizers or moisturizers formulated for oily skin anyway, but I had never really considered the fact that my skin might not need a moisturizer at all. I find that even in the summer when my skin is it's oiliest, I still slather on the moistuizer just because it's routine for me.

 I've gone about four days without moisturizer and I have to say, I haven't really noticed too much of a difference. Maybe my skin doesn't need moisturizer everyday after all? Something to think about, I suppose. I still use eye cream, though, since my eye area tends to get quite dry. (Note: Shown above is my current moisturizer and although I'm currently experimenting with not using a moisturizer, the one shown above is actually a pretty good one that I still like to use if I find my skin is feeling particularly dry or parched.)

Another thing I've been trying lately after hearing Lisa Eldridge talk about it is not applying foundation to my under-eye area. She said that you should use as few products as possible around your eye area so I gave it a try. All I used around my eye area was eye cream, concealer, and Bare Minerals Well-Rested. So far, I'm not convinced this is the way to go for me. I think I got much better coverage and lasting powder when I extended my foundation application to my under-eye area as well, but I guess everyone is different.

Have you ever had a change of heart about something in your makeup routine?


0 comments:

Post a Comment