Not Worth the Hype...

Being a beauty blogger and an avid reader of beauty blogs, it's not uncommon to be bombarded with others' declarations of their love for different beauty products in addition to my own personal beauty obsessions. Alternatively, the least abundant, although sometimes the most useful, type of post is often one focusing on products we don't love or that didn't work for us. This is mine...


Revlon Super Lustrous Matte Lipstick in Stormy Pink

The formula is dry, it makes your lips feel dry, and it applies sheerly, unevenly, and chalky. Yes, I understand it's a matte formula but this one is just terrible. Lip balm is a necessity under this lipstick to make it more comfortable on the lips and not appear as dry, but it still does not help the chalky application. While Stormy Pink is a pretty pink, it's not a revolutionary or "special" pink shade, and I absolutely think you can find a very similar pink lipstick with much better quality and texture.

Top to bottom:
several swipes
2 swipes
1 swipe

YSL Rouge Volupte Lipsticks

Gasp! No, this is not a mistake. I may be alone in this one, but I'm totally okay with that :) Rouge Voluptes are creamy, ridiculously pigmented lipsticks that smell nice and come in gorgeous packaging. However, they have such a slick consistency that they tend to slip and slide on your lips, making the wear time less than 2 hours. In addition, as a result of the creamy formulation, they tend to settle into fine lines and make your lips appear rather dry. Of course, these issues can be dealt with but for $34 a pop, should you really have to put in that much extra effort?

Revlon Color Stay Foundation Combination/Oily Skin

I liked this at first but my distaste for it developed rather quickly after the initial infatuation wore off. It provides good coverage and really does last a long time but that's really where the good qualities end for me, I'm afraid. It's smells horrific, dries down to feel like a mask on your face, and although the foundation does not smear off as a result of my oily skin, my t-zone still manages to look disgustingly slick within 3 hours of application. No thanks, Color Stay. No thanks.

Maybelline Dream Mousse Blush in Pink Frosting

Not terrible, but definitely not great. The mousse-y texture blends into the skin easily but ends up looking powdery. Most of the powder blushes I use don't even look powdery after I blend them in, so I was definitely not impressed by this at all.

Swiped and blended

Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm

I know that this pepperminty balm is a favorite of many, but I wouldn't include myself in that bunch anytime soon. While it does a fine job at moisturizing dry lips, it's drier consistency makes the application take a bit of work and coaxing to not feel uneven on the lips. It's difficult to explain if you've never used it before :-/

L'Oreal Carbon Black Lineur Intense Felt Tip Eyeliner

It's easy to apply and is pretty black, although I'd be hesitant to say it's a really intense black. My issue with Lineur Intense is that it does not wear well. If my eye waters a bit and I carefully dab my eye with a tissue, it flakes off. Even if my eye has had a completely uneventful day, I'll find that after a few hours my eyeliner has started to flake off at the ends where I tend to wing it out. It doesn't fade nicely...it flakes off.

Korres Vitamin E Face Primer

Not much to say about this one really. It smells really nice and refreshing but it doesn't do much. I don't expect it to control oil production throughout the day like some other primers because it doesn't claim to do so. However, it does claim to minimize pore size and create a perfect canvas for makeup application, neither of which I can attest to.

Have you tried any of these products? If so, do you agree or disagree? I'd love to hear your thoughts!


0 comments:

Post a Comment