Drugstore Paint Pots?

After searching high and low at three different CVS stores in search of a few of the goodies Jess showcased in this post, I was unsuccessful in finding most of what she had been lucky enough to find, but I did walk away with two gems :)



Maybelline's new Color Tattoo 24 hour eyeshadows are cream eyeshadows that are extremely similar in consistency to MAC Paint Pots. I'm only realizing now as I type this and now that the sun has gone down that I forgot to take a photo of the actual product without the lid on so that you could see how it looks in the pot, but basically, it looks just like a Paint Pot...you'll just have to take my word for it, I guess :)

Pomegranate Punk (left) and Bad to the Bronze

Pomegranate Punk is a shimmery, purpley burgundy shade. While it is quite pigmented, it applies slightly less pigmented than it appears in the pot, and it doesn't apply quite as smoothly as Bad to the Bronze, a metallic, bronzey taupe. I predict that Pomegranate Punk may have a tendency to apply a bit patchy and may require a bit more effort for an opaque and even application. Bad to the Bronze, on the other hand, applies effortlessly and appears just as pigmented once applied as it does in the pot. To me, Bad to the Bronze is actually a bit more taupey and less bronzey than I was expecting. I guess I was expecting something a bit warmer and just a smidgen more golden? I'm not sure, but it's gorgeous nonetheless.

From what I could tell by looking at some of the other shades on the display, it appears as though there may be a couple matte or nearly matte shades as well.

It's too early for me to comment on the staying power, although the skeptic in me highly doubts the 24 hour claim (why is 24 hour makeup even necessary anyway?). But, you know I'll be wearing these shades in a few FOTDs soon, so be on the look out for that if you're interested in a more thorough review. I will say, however, that I experienced a fair amount of difficulty simply trying to remove the swatches from my arm, which may be a good indication of its long staying power.

Also, since it has the consistency much like the MAC Paint Pots, it means that it applies as a cream but has a tendency to dry down and then not budge, regardless of how horrifically you've applied it and how desperately you need to continue blending. I've found, simply from playing around with the swatches on my arm, that it's best to blend quickly after initial application, unless of course you want to look like a 5-year old messing around in her mother's makeup for the first time ;)


Has anyone tried these? If so, what shades did you pick up and what are your thoughts?


0 comments:

Post a Comment